Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mylon LeFevre - Mylon (1970)



Alright, it's gospel-time, ya'll! Well, sort of. This album by Mylon LeFevre is undeniably gospel-related. Hell, he sings about God and all. But don't let that spoil your fun. I won't, and I really love this album. And it's definitely very much Southern Rock!
Mylon's family were The LeFevres, a famous gospel group. But Mylon first needed to put his faith to the test, I guess. So he did the rock 'n' roll thing. And quite good too. This LP, Mylon (also known as 'We Believe'), from 1970 is easily his best. Another nice one is 'Weak At The Knees'. Though that LP cover would scare most any human being off. Since the eighties he's refound his faith, and more so than ever. He's recorded some very slick gospelrock CD's, stuff you really don't need to hear (yes, that's my opinion!) throughout the eighties and nineties. He's now a preacher man. ... have mercy...


I thought this photo was too good to be true. Players on this album are: Mylon LeFevre, Kim Venable, Barry Bailey, Auburn Burrell, Dean Daughtry, Ron Graybeal and Paul Goddard (quite some Atlanta Rhythm Section pickers). The recording engineer was Rodney Mills, the record was produced by Allen Toussaint.

11 comments:

Gadjitator said...

Wow! Mylon LeFevre!!! He did an album with Alvin Lee (of Ten Years After fame) in which AL actually played tasteful (e.g., non-speed freak) guitar in the '70s. It made me re-evaluate Alvin Lee.

Nice to see this, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great album !!

Luc said...

Intersting album with some great solo by Barry Bailey!

The Nana said...

Thanks for posting this as I lost my album a long time ago. Ron Graybeal the listed bass player was actually not playing on the album but was playing with the band when the cover was printed. Just a little trivia. He had just quit the band when we met in Atlanta in 1970.

Anonymous said...

So who is playing that bass solo on Peace begins within - its my favourite ever bass line - exquisite album & I was no xtian when I bought it but 'Pece begins within' sure kept a flame alive for me. Who is that bass player?

Matches said...

I just found your site and here it is New Years Eve 2014-2015. You've got some great stuff on here I've never heard, THANKS!! can't believe these old links work. Happy New Year and looking forward to listenin.

Matchesmon

The Nana said...

I'm not sure. I guess I just can't remember. Ron Graybeal passed in 2010. He sure played it a lot when they were on the road!

Anonymous said...

Also, look at this attached picture. It's listed for a Chicago classic rock station as a picture of ARS (Atlanta Rhythm Section) but actually a pix of Mylon with his first band from first album, now admittedly most of them went on to ARS but that's Mylon not Ronnie Hammond.

https://live.wdrv.com/listen/artist/6b627bd0-b839-40c7-b025-7b60c122dfea

Jared

Genuine Rock said...

Paul Goddard played the exquisite bass on Peace Begins Within (although pictured on the back of the jacket he is not listed as the bass player for some reason - PG is accorded “special thanks”)

Genuine Rock said...

Paul Goddard played the exquisite bass on Peace Begins Within (PG is included in the group photo on the back and in the credits is accorded “special thanks” although Graybeal is listed as the bass player)

Skydogg said...

Sorry Genuine Rock, took me some time to check up on posted comments. This surely is an album that needs a decent release on cd, preferably a deluxe version with a second live cd!