Thursday, November 13, 2008

Buckacre - Morning Comes (1976)



I was curious about Buckacre because I read about them in Popoff's "Southern Rock Review". I already knew that their first album had strong Country Rock tendencies and that their second album was much more of a Southern Rock album. And thanks to Carambola (who provided this rip) I can now get the first part of the picture.
These guys were not actually from the South (Illinois Valley). And the music on this album, their first, is indeed more in the vein of bands that fell somewhere in between West Coast and Southern Country Rock. There were quite a few bands that fall into this category: bands like Pure Prairie League, Cooper Brothers, Redwing and Ozark Mountain Daredevils. They did, at one time, rub shoulders with Southern Rock bands, as did many of the aforementioned bands. I guess that's why many people don't mind bands like these getting associated with the genre.
As for the music, well, it's very Country Rock. Only once in a while does it conjure up the spirit of Southern Rock. But it's nice music. Would do great at a BBQ with the in-laws. I'm glad I got a chance to listen to this. Makes me all the more curious about the second album. Popoff wrote some very nice comments on that one. So, until then...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skydogg - just when I think it can't get any better you go and post this ultra-cool album. This is GOOD music. Thanks!

bigfootkit said...

Hi Skydogg, i've got this one already, it's a real grower, gets better with every listen. Like yourself i've not heard their other record yet, but if it's as good as "Morning Comes", it'll be worth hunting for.
Best wishes,
bigfootkit

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, Skydogg! This is a increadible album! I never heard of this band but unfortunately it is on my ipod now and I´m listening to it every day when I´m looking out for the original vinyl now - I´m a big record and vinyl collector!

Cheers an again many thanks for your hard work!

Marty

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, Skydogg for this album; I did't know it. Pure and fresh country rock band. Dou you know NAVARRO? prove this:

http://lix.in/b630c1fb
greetings,
jc

Skydogg said...

You're most welcome. And thanks for the link, I will check it out. :-)

Anonymous said...

You're welcome; I hope you like it, specially their voices and sweet overdrive strat!

jc

Hazy Dave said...

I don't know if you have any cover scans or other info, but I'll point out that this album was produced by Glyn Johns. While justly renowned for his production of Who's Next, this record more closely resembles Johns' production of the Eagles' debut LP!

Anonymous said...

Buckacre rare live CD available on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180450999182&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Against At Will and Right to Work said...

You can find a video of them on You Tube.
I knew the lead singer through our wives and played music with him a little back in the day. The Illinois Valley in the late 70's had a lot of great bands. Even Rolling Stone did an article about the area.
I was very sorry to hear that Les Lockridge passed away June 1st 2010 of Lou Gehrig's.
Here is the link for You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4XzNxm8Xk

Jeffrey Miller said...

Just happened across your awesome site and wanted to share this blog post I wrote on the passing of Les Lockridge.

http://jeffreyalanmiller.wordpress.com/2010/06/03/remembering-les-lockridge-1947-2010/

Randy Ray said...

FYI, there is a "new" live limited edition Buckacre CD from before they became "famous". Originally recorded in 1975, it was remixed and made into a CD to benefit Buckacre's Les Lockridge during his illness.

You can find more info here: http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=46517318550

Anonymous said...

please re-upload it? Thanks!

Skydogg said...

New link up.

Anonymous said...

This was Buckacre's FIRST album. If I read your opening comments correctly, you are under the impression that this was their second album. This album came out in 1976. Their second - self titled - album came out in 1978. When Buckacre's Les Lockridge became ill with Lou Gehrig's disease in 2010, a third recording with limited local release was made of Buckacre's early days at the Circus Lounge in Spring Valley, IL. All three albums may be found at goodtunesradio.com/tunes/Buckacre

Skydogg said...

I knew it was the first. I also have the second album om this blog. Thanks for extra information!