Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ouray - Motor Dream (1981)



"Motor Dream" was Ouray's second and final album. It's a completely different world compared to "Chrome On The Range". That album was much earthier and closer to genuine Southern Rock. On "Motor Dream" the band sounded like they were looking for a hit. Especially on the first few tracks, it all sounds very commercial. A bit like 38 Special. But after some tracks you can definitely hear some trademark Southern Rock guitar licks, vocal harmonies reminding of The Outlaws, and overall some very good songs. Yes, I enjoyed this album very much.
When I posted the first album, I mentioned I hardly knew anything about the band. Luckily I was given some very useful information about the band in a comment by a reader. That reader was Bo Pirrucello, steel guitarist and singer of Ouray. This is was he wrote:
"Stumbled across this blog. I am Bo from Ouray. We were all from Chicago, played around the midwest and east for about 7 or 8 years. Some of us are still active, Ted is still playing with various bands in the area. Hap and I have been collaborating off and on for the past 15 years or so, Hap is based in Colorado now. I have a new band called Cal-Sag, booking is starting. Frank and Too Tall are retired from playing, but Frank has a thriving entertainment law practice. Motor Dream is a little different, but has some really good moments. Thanks for the positive words. Check out my guitar company www.hansonguitars.com. Former partner with Lakland basses, we are launching these new guitars this summer."
Well, thank you, Bo! And now that you're all updated on the band's current whereabouts, it's time to enjoy Ouray's Motor Dream...

7 comments:

Skydogg said...

Thanks to Jacques (who had the vinyl( and Luc (who did the raw rip) for helping me get the good stuff out here. 'preciate it!

Jenaclap said...

Thanks again for Ouray! I wish all the artists were like Bo Pirrucello sharing therir music and experiences! ...(and playin' guitar, of course).

Salud,
Jenaclap

Scr390 said...

I remember seeing Ouray in the late 70s. They used to play a small nightclub in Wheeling, IL (I think), but I can't recall the name. Right along the Des Plaines river if I remember correctly. I stll have both Ouray LPs as well as another band called "Pork & The Havana Ducks." These were two of the most entertaining groups of the day (for me).

Skydogg said...

What kind of music was Pork & The Havana Ducks?

Anonymous said...

Pork & The Havana Ducks played country music (covers and originals), fronted by Jerry (Pork) Armstrong. A rather large man indicates his nickname. Pork had a rather hoarse voice, but he and the band were VERY fun and EXTREMELY entertaining. They played the "State Fair" circuit in Illinois and Wisconsin. Unfortunately, Jerry left us several years ago...

Anonymous said...

sometimes hard to believe this is the same band from Chrome - and I believe it is not - at this point I think Hap had left and they brought in a guy named Jeff Pinaud (sp?) who was a good guitarist but they really sound more pop than country rock - seeing them live was different as well

Unknown said...

posting Chrome on the Range on YouTube would be excellent Anyone remember Walter Williams Band? Chicago same era