Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Russell Smith - The Boy Next Door (1984)



"The Boy Next Door" is Russell Smith's second solo album. Apparently it was only released in Europe. It has not been released on CD, though eight tracks wound up on the "Sunday Best" compilation, and one more on the "Russell Smith" debut CD release (actually two: the song "Hesitation" was included on both). So, if you have those two already, the only song you're getting this for, is "Nobody's Angel".
Musically this fits right in with the Nashville thing going on at that time. While the Amazing Rhythm Aces albums were quite adventurous, Russell on his own usually sticks to the Country side of affairs. Still, he excels at it too. And tracks like "Hesitation" or "Who's Makin' Love" wouldn't seem out of place on a album like The Aces' "How The Hell Do You Spell Rhythm". "Nobody's Angel" is a Country ballad. Nothing spectacular, but quite alright. Well alright.

8 comments:

Skydogg said...

On the "This Little Town" post, someone anonymous mentioned "Three Piece the Epic 45 Suit/Not Made of Stone". I don't know that, but I would like to. Could someone rip that for me at 256 kbps? Thanks.

lochloosa said...

Hi Skydog
Thank's so much for this and all the other great uploads! This is a great Blog!
lochloosa

Skydogg said...

... and thank you, too...

Anonymous said...

On the "This Little Town" post, someone anonymous mentioned "Three Piece the Epic 45 Suit/Not Made of Stone". I don't know that, but I would like to. Could someone rip that for me at 256 kbps? Thanks.

That was probably me. I'll see what I can put together and when, as I also now have "Billy Jean" and have had the ARA's version of "Mystery Train" for a while too. I also ran across this:

Smith, Russell -

This Little Town (unreleased version 1988 42min studio a)
three piece suit*,
this little town,
you can’t have a good time without me*,
betty jean*,
an american tragedy,
the colorado side,
my ride*,
not made of stone*,
blue collar blues,
sunday best

Comments:
Amazing Rhythm Aces vocalist. *not on 1989 official release.

The Boy Next Door (1984 31min studio a)
if i didn’t have you,
mona,
nobody’s angel,
she still knows how,
a picture of you,
who’s makin’ love,
if you could change your mind,
where did we go right, hesitation,
the boy next door

Comments:
Extremely rare dutch only vinyl release.

smith, russell & the muscle shoals all-stars (w/ levon helm)
- sam's place, san jose, apr 26 -82 (2cd) 99min sbd a

disc 1: tossin' and turnin', the end is not in sight, back to memphis, cripple creek, lucrecia, someday we will, third rate romance, rag mama rag, willie and the hand jive, want to hold you, what i learned from loving you disc 2: on a lonely night, get out your big roll daddy, milk cow boogie, your eyes will never see me, road runner, rock n roll shoes, the weight/all-star intro, who will your next fool be, caledonia

band includes ex amazing rhythm aces - duncan cameron (guitar), james hooker (keyboard)

email:openroadnz@xtra.co.nz

email:gomesdavi@uol.com.br

but haven't been able to locate the site again.

THANK YOU!

Skydogg said...

I have the SBD with Levon Helm. All stuff you have that hasn't been released I would very much like to hear. Are both these two e-mail addresses your? Which one should I use?

Anonymous said...

Hello Skydogg,

I'm sorry to eport that neither of the e-mail addresses is mine and so far I've used them only once (unsuccessfully) in an attempt to contact the original poster of the information. I'd like to hear this unreleased stuff as well.

Skydogg said...

On what site was all that information posted?

Anonymous said...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080322075344/http://www.geocities.com/openroadnz/index.html